Integrated Pastoral Plan to Assist Venezuelan Migrants in South America
Buenos Aires, 19/04/2018 – Responding to Pope Francis’s call to welcome, protect, promote and integrate migrants and refugees, eight Bishops Conferences in South America have joined forces to find solutions to the massive migration of Venezuelans who are fleeing their country to save their lives and to seek refuge and a dignified life abroad.
With the assistance of the Migrant & Refugees Section of the Dicastery for the Promotion of Integral Human Development, these Bishops Conferences have developed a pastoral plan that aims at promoting the integral human development of hundreds of thousands Venezuelans in any phase of migration: departure, transit, arrival and return. Through coordinated action, their holistic plan sets out a wide range of activities and services that address Venezuelan migrants, other vulnerable migrants and the local communities who host them. Examples of such activities are:
· Centres and shelters for vulnerable migrants;
· Assistance in housing, job seeking and social inclusion;
· Facilitation of access to education and health services;
· Advocacy and legal assistance;
· Professional training of pastoral agents;
· Awareness campaigns and sensitization of local communities.
ph. George Castellanos